Exam Preparation-Things You Need To Know:
- Students undertaking AMEB preliminary to grade 3 will need to purchase the mp3 piano parts to play along with in the exam for their chosen List B and List C pieces. This is a compulsory aspect of the exam.
- Also, they will need to provide an mp3 player in the exam to play along with (a phone switched to flight mode or iPod or tablet with wireless/data turned off (so no notifications pop up during the exam) which is connected to some small speakers would all be fine. External speakers are important as the device speakers are too soft)
- You can find the individual tracks by going to the iTunes store and typing–>> ‘Flute AMEB Series 3’,<<– then finding the relevant grade level. It’s important students have these backing tracks well before the exam to get used to playing along with them.
- Students undertaking AMEB grade 4 and above will need to hire their own piano player to accompany them in the exam. Piano players can be found here: https://vmta.org.au
- Ideally students will have at least 2 rehearsals with their piano player before the exam takes place.
BUY ACCOMPANYING PIANO PARTS ON ITUNES (search for appropriate grade level)
BUY ACCOMPANYING PIANO PARTS DIRECT FROM AMEB SHOP —>> HERE<<–
Essential Practice Tools
It is very important that students have access to a metronome (for keeping time during practice sessions) as well as a tuner (for tuning their instrument as well as practicing aural skills).
These can be downloaded for free from your app store. Suggestions are:
SoundCorset-Metronome and tuner in one.
Metrotimer-metronome and practice timer
The Metronome by Soundsbrenner -metronome only
SoundCorset-metronome and tuner in one
AMEB Practice App
The AMEB has a practice app which enables you to upload your pre purchased piano backing tracks and change the tempo of each piece. This app is very useful when learning the piece where the full tempo may be too fast for level of skill at the time. However, for the exam, the original marked tempo must be performed.
It is called ‘My Tempo‘, and is only available on iTunes –>> here.<<–
Aural training (ear training)
Part of each AMEB exam includes some aural testing where candidates are examined on their ability to recognise pitch (singing notes back), rhythm and intervals. An app that can used to practice for this is ‘Aural Book’ –>>available here,<<– only on iTunes at this point in time.
Otherwise, an aural training book can be purchased from the AMEB SHOP at the link below (optional for lower grades-more essential for grades 4 and up, especially if the student has aspirations to complete all 8 AMEB exams in the future):
Optional (but highly encouraged to give best chance of a good result in the exam):
There are full recordings (flute and piano together) of all the flute AMEB repertoire up to Grade 6 of which students can purchase and listen to and learn more deeply the music they are playing. This is particularly important for students taking Grade 4 and above exams, as there are no CD accompanying parts for grade 4 and above. The full recordings can be found below.
(PLEASE NOTE-for some reason you can ONLY purchase these on iTunes when you are on a desktop computer. When clicking the links from an iPhone you will get a message saying they are not available in Australia.
PURCHASE FULL RECORDINGS ON CD BABY HERE:
Otherwise, here are the iTunes links: