So why exactly should you learn to play the flute? Here are some of my favorite reasons to play the flute:
- You learn to feel melody in your body through the flute more than most other instruments, as it has many similarities to singing.
- Having the ability to play an instrument can be a social bonus, because you get to play music with others and learn how to work as a team and have fun, and the flute is diverse in its ensemble settings.
- The flute is extremely portable and easy to store compared to most instruments, as well as easy to clean, and you don’t have to worry about reads or stings or valve oil like other instruments have
- The flute is usually the one to carry the melody in an ensemble setting, compared to instruments that play in lower frequencies. Who doesn’t love a good melody?
- The flute has mythical origins, which add to its charm. It is perfect for weddings and other ceremonies.
- The flute has similar fingerings to the recorder, which makes for a nice transition from learning the recorder to learning the flute.
- The flute is suitable for many styles of music from classical to jazz, to ambient and world music, to pop/rock and beyond.